Leeds University Union is fully compliant with The Equality Act (2010), and prides itself on having a positive and informed attitude to accessibility.
Leeds University Union is working towards the Attitude is Everything Venue & Festival Charter, with designated disabled viewing areas created and a FOC ticket system for Personal Assistants.
A Microsoft Word version of this information is available to download by clicking here: Download The Document
If you are planning on attending an event at Leeds University Union and want to discuss access, reserve space in the viewing area or obtain a carer ticket please feel free to pop-in or get in touch via the Contact Us page or:
T: 0113 380 1400
The building – although challenging, is fully accessible with lift access across all floors of the venue and accessible unisex WC’s available in each venue.
– the building is set-out on six levels but there is either ramped or lift access to every level with the distance from the main entrance to the furthest part of the venues approximately 200 metres.
Other facilities available include three Blue Badge parking spaces 15 metres from the front of the building (see later notes) and low-level bar service counters in all venues.
We are more than happy to provide one carer ticket FOC, with an additional ticket available by request.
How to book space in the viewing area
All the venues have viewing areas for disabled guests which are located alongside the mixer desk position with a clear line-of-sight to the stage.
Due to the limited space available within each location we respectfully request that the spaces are booked in advance.
– one additional carer space per guest is supplied
– we can supply folding chairs for non-wheelchair guests / carers
Please let us know using the Contact Details above (or via the Contact Us page) if you require these facilities, and let us know when you arrive so we can direct you to the viewing area and make sure that you have everything you need.
The University campus is approximately 1 mile from Leeds city station. Just follow the directions below and you’ll be with us in no time at all:
- Come out of the station into City square.
- With the Queens Hotel behind you, walk straight up Park Row.
- Continue up Park Row until the first major junction.
- Cross straight over The Headrow and continue up Cookridge Street.
- At the next set of lights go straight on passing Millennium Square on your left and Leeds City Museum on your right.
- Turn left on to Woodhouse Lane, a busy main road.
- You’ll pass Leeds Beckett University on your left and our University campus begins in another 50 metres or so, on your left.
- To reach the Leeds University Union building, carry on up Woodhouse Lane until you can see the clock tower building – called The Parkinson Building.
NB: You’ll also be able to look at a map of campus near the clock tower to help you on the next part.
- About 20 metres before the stone steps (Parkinson steps) go through the stone archways into the campus.
- In around 100metres turn left and the Union building is in front of you to the righthand side.
Download the University walking and cycling map of the surrounding area.
Leeds station connects us with all major UK cities and has a fast and efficient London service. For train information and timetables visit the National Rail Enquiries website
If you’re thinking about cycling to the University, we have secure bike racks and showers. Download the University walking and cycling map of the surrounding area. Alternatively, visit the Leeds City Council cycling pages
There are number of excellent bus services in Leeds. Visit the West Yorkshire Metro website and First Leeds for timetables and general information.
There is also a city bus which stops at the bus and train stations and the southern end of campus (near the back of Leeds General Infirmary A&E) every 10 minutes from 06:30 – 19:30 Monday to Saturday.
Visit the National Express website for details.
If you are using satellite navigation our address details for the closest access to the Union building are:
Leeds University Union
Leeds is linked to the M1 and M62. Parking on campus is limited, and we are also committed to reducing our carbon emissions, so we encourage staff and visitors to walk or cycle where possible.
Parking is very limited close to the Union building and is on-street only however provision is available close to the Union entrance – between 10 & 40 metre’s, for up to six blue-badge holders. These spaces are not always pre-bookable as they are controlled by the University, however please do ask and we can ask them on your behalf.
NB: Additional Blue Badge parking is available on Campus – around 500 metres away, within the Leeds University Multi-storey car park should the spaces by the Union be unavailable. Additional spaces are also provided off-Campus at the Woodhouse Lane Multi-storey.
We advise all patrons to arrive early and – if on-street parking is unavailable, to park instead at either the on-site Leeds University Multi-storey car park, or at Woodhouse Lane Multi-storey Pay & Display Car Park which is 24hrs and can be found here:
160A Woodhouse Lane
NB: both multi-storey carparks will charge a hefty fine if you fail to follow their procedures for payment.
Visit http://carparking.leeds.ac.uk/visitors/ for more information on parking facilities provided by the University.
The closest location for drop-off & collections is the corner of Lifton Place & Cromer Terrace.
The venue is generally open from 08:00 until 01:00 daily, although times can vary and especially during periods that are out of the academic term dates.
– please refer to the event-specific information on this website for specific timing information for each event
On arrival at the venue please speak to the security staff and ask to speak to the Security Manager regarding your access requirements.
– if you have requested early entrance then please follow the directions as given at time of confirmation
– the staff will have been briefed to expect you.
Due to the nature of the venue and the various rooms / venue configurations within, the staff will direct you to the correct Box Office / Ticket check location for each event.
NB: unless advised in advance, all venues are accessed via the Leeds University Union main entrance on University Square
Each of our venues has accessible toilets within close proximity to the viewing areas. Both left and right hand transfer facilities are available within the building, although each venue may not always have both options available.
Customers with medical requirements
We welcome guests who have specific medical or dietary needs and are more than happy to accommodate your requirements.
Please contact us in advance to advise us of your attendance and if you have any questions please do ask these at this time.
In case of emergency we always have trailed First Aid assistance on-site, with larger events also including external trained medical staff.
We are not currently able to offer any auditory or visual enhancements to assist with your enjoyment.
We are working on improving this in the area and would welcome your feedback and input on this area via this contact information above.
We are proactive on the use of assistance dogs and can provide water and other facilities should you require them.
– please advise us of your visit and state what your requirements are… we will do our utmost to facilitate these.
The venues do include strobe lighting and other ‘flash-based’ effects as standard.
In addition, as many of our events include aspects of ‘toured production’ – which are outside of the venue’s control, we urge guests to contact us for more information on an event-specific basis at the earliest opportunity.